Thursday, December 11, 2008

Swedish Cocoons


Ok this is a recipe that my mom has made for us during the holidays ever since I can remember. I do not know how this got to be a traditional recipe, but in our family, these cookies are a must have during the holidays. My mom made them for me and my sisters and now I make them for my kids. My older sister always needs to have these cookies, so she calls mom and asks her to make some and send them to her since she has such a hectic work schedule with little time to bake them herself. Mom is always happy to do it for her, these cookies are that good! They are super simple and only require just a few ingredients but the burst with flavor. Here it is:

Swedish Cocoons

1 1/2 cups margarine or butter (butter makes these cookies taste much better)
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
3 cups finely chopped nuts (we use pecans)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream margarine or butter with 1 cup of the powdered sugar until light; add vanilla. Blend in flour, add the nuts. Shape into cocoons (finger shaped pieces 1 1/2 inches long) Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Roll in remaining 1 cup of powdered sugar.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always love collecting and cooking a healthy recipe. I'll definitely add this to my collections!

dottyeb said...

My mother made thes, but with a little different 'twist". The basic recipe is the same, but she did not use crushed pecans. Instead, she would roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4" thickness. Then she would cut circles with a round cookie cutter about 3-4" across. Then place a half pecan piece on one side of the dough circle, fold over and pinch closed. Bake as usual, and when done, IMMEDIATEL toss in powdered sugar in a brown bag. When we were kids, we couldn't wait for these each holiday season.